Office moves are complex and overwhelming…after all, you’re relocating your entire business from one location to another. There are many moving parts, and you need help with the logistics. Planning and organization are critical in making sure your office move goes smoothly. To that end, you need to hire movers skilled in office moves.
If you’re looking to move your office in San Diego, check out our office moving checklist.
Six Months Before
- Review your current lease to see if you need to make a deposit or pay a fee if breaking your lease early.
- Get quotes from moving companies and compare rates from at least three of them.
- Determine if you need moving insurance. You may want to opt for higher coverage on your move over and above the industry standard of $0.60 per pound.
- Set your budget. Having a moving budget will prevent overspending.
- Assemble a team. Designate a point person for the move and have them delegate tasks to a team.
Three to Four Months Before
- Lock in the moving date. First, confirm your new office space, then book a reservation with the moving company you selected.
- Notify your current landlord. Give them a date on which you want to terminate your lease.
- Create a moving plan. Craft a checklist of your move, including people involved, required action items, and deadlines.
- Assign responsibilities to coordinate the move.
- Notify all employees so they can plan accordingly.
- Notify partners, affiliates, clients and suppliers of your move.
Two Months Before
- Design a floor plan. Map out your existing office and the new one so you will know where to place furniture, equipment, and the like.
- Book phone and Internet installation.
- Book computer and IT system setups.
- Create a master list of who has keys, parking passes, and access cards, then collect outstanding access cards prior to moving day.
- Discontinue services at your current office, such as landscaping, security, or cleaning services.
One Month Before
- Inventory, label and tag furniture, equipment, and office supplies.
- Collect moving supplies for employees so they can pack up their stuff.
- Create a change-of-address list and send to all clients.
- Update company address listings on social media accounts, and listings on Google and Yelp.
Two Weeks Before
- Finalize plans with your movers and give them a detailed itinerary.
- Order keys and access cards for your new office ahead of time.
- Confirm internet and phone installation, as well as computer and IT services setup.
One Week Before
- Inspect your new office before moving day.
- Review your moving day schedule.
- Finish packing and labeling.
- Gather parking passes, security cards, and keys.
- Set up your office using the blueprint or outline you created. If you have a mover, go over transition planning at this time.
- Plug in phone, Internet, and IT systems. Ask your professional movers if this service is included in their rate. If not, make sure your local provider does it. You want to be able to hit the ground running!
- Do a walk-through. Go through your vacated office, make sure you didn’t miss anything, and document any damage you see.
After the Move
- Test out all the phones, computers, Wi-Fi, IT systems and cable connections to make sure you can get your business back up and running as soon as possible.
- Confirm termination of your change-of address updates and old lease. Make sure the old lease was properly terminated and that you have notified all clients, vendors and business partners of your move. Make sure your new address has been accurately advertised.
- Designate employees for unpacking, removing tags from equipment and stocking supply cabinets. The more hands on deck you have, the faster the whole process will go.
So there you have it: the ultimate guide to moving your San Diego office. Getting ahead of big-picture logistics from the start will help you not only determine your moving budget and delegate responsibilities, it will help you plan a seamless move from start to finish.
It always helps to have professional office movers on your side. They can help with everything from packing up all your boxes to setting up your conference room furniture.
Contact Best Fit Movers
To book your office move with our experienced professionals, contact us in San Diego. We would be happy to provide you with a free quote and start planning the logistics of your commercial move.